Cinnamon and Honey
The combination of honey and cinnamon has been used for centuries in traditional Chinese culture as a system of healing founded 5000 years ago in India. The two ingredients with unique healing abilities have a long history as a home remedy. Cinnamon is one of the oldest spices known to mankind and honey's popularity has continued throughout history. Cinnamon's essential oils and honey enzymes which produce hydrogen peroxide qualify the two "anti-microbial" foods with the ability to help stop the growth of bacteria as well as fungi. Both are used not just as a beverage flavoring and medicine, but also as an embalming agent and are used as alternatives to traditional food preservatives due to their effective antimicrobial properties.
Also, it is worth mentioning that in Ayurvedic medicine, honey is known as 'Yogavahi', which means "the carrier of the healing values of the herbs to the cells and tissues". It is believed that when combined with another substance (eg a herb or spice) in a formulation, the special quality of honey enhances the medicinal qualities of that formulation and helps them reach the deeper tissues in the body more effectively. And honey and cinnamon, which is one of the best-known mixtures, has been reported to be a cure for many diseases and a formula for many health benefits
1) HEART DISEASES: Apply honey and cinnamon powder on bread instead of using jam or butter and eat it regularly for breakfast. It is believed that in the long run, this can help prevent blockages in blood vessels, heart attacks and hypercholesterolemia.
2) FOR ARTHRITIS: Apply a paste made of the two ingredients on the affected part of the body and massage slowly. Drinking tea with honey and cinnamon daily can also help relieve pain and stiffness in the joints.
3) Use to reduce HAIR LOSS: Make a paste of hot OLIVE OIL, a tablespoon of honey, a teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Apply before bath, leave it for 15 min and wash.
4) BLADDER INFECTIONS: Mix a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and half a teaspoon of honey in a glass of lukewarm water and drink. This can help destroy the bacteria in the urinary system.
5) TOOTHACHE: Apply a paste of cinnamon powder and honey and on the aching tooth.
6) To help with CHOLESTEROL ISSUES: Add honey to cinnamon powder mixed in boiled water or green tea and d
7) COLDS: Make a glass of lukewarm honey water mixed with a pinch of cinnamon powder to help boost your immune system during the cold season. It is also helpful in clearing the sinuses.
8) INDIGESTION: Cinnamon powder sprinkled on a spoonful of honey taken before food relieves acidity and prevents indigestion.
9) LONGEVITY: Regularly take tea made with honey and a little cinnamon powder to strengthen your immune system and protect your body from viral and bacterial attacks.
10) PIMPLES: Mix honey with cinnamon powder and apply paste on the acne before sleeping and wash away the next morning.
11) OBESITY: You can reduce weight by a daily mixture of a teaspoon of honey with half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder boiled in water with an empty stomach in the morning about half an hour before breakfast. Step-by-step instructions in: Cinnamon and Honey Recipe above.
So, I love reading about history, even my favorite movies are on historical events, or of medieval times. We know in historical times, they used natural herbs to cure most everything. Now I believe that we can live, very well, on natural ingredients in every aspect of life. I've heard so many benefits of natural herbal remedies and the medicinal purposes that each of them have... just to name a few. Tumeric, garlic, lemon, ginger root, and my favorite, honey. As with all things, when I find something I want to know or learn about, I research it. In this, I thank current times and the internet.
And one more thing.. I believe if we went back to watching old black and white shows, as in Andy Griffith, Donna Reed, I Love Lucy, Leave it to Beaver, Father Knows Best and Hazel... we'd all live in a better world. What do you think ?
Honey, Ginger, & Lemon
Honey, Ginger, & Lemon - cold and flu remedy
soothes a sore throat and will keep a cough at bay for a restful night.
2 lemons cut in slices
1 cup 100% pure honey
1 ginger root about 3 inches - cut or sliced in small slivers
I place all three ingredients together, place it in the pantry in a cool dry dark spot and it will last close to a year.
(If you leave it there long enough I heard it will become marmalade)
You can also place it in the refrigerator. Mix a spoonful into a cup of warm water and drink it or take a spoonful for a PICK-ME-UP every morning.
The root is packed full of different vitamins, minerals and compounds that help your body grow and repair itself, and your brain stay in tip-top shape.
As one of the healthiest and arguably tastiest spices you can use, these top ten health benefits might make you consider using it in more recipes at home.
1. Medicinal use
Ginger has a long history of being used in lots of medicinal treatments, and that doesn’t mean it’s one of those ingredients used in nonsensical medicine. The root or stem known as the rhizome is packed with phenolic compounds that helps improve your digestive system, when consumed regularly. It is also able to reduce the feeling of nausea, and bolster your body’s immune system to combat the common cold, flu and other similar problems. If you’re feeling bad, you can count on ginger to perk you up!
By consuming ginger the antioxidants have been shown to inhibit and even reverse the deposition of plaques in the brain which are associated with Alzheimer’s.
In addition it has been proven that consuming ginger extracts can actually improve memory, attention and cognitive function in middle-aged women.
There are many health benefits of lemons that have been known for centuries. The two biggest are lemons’ strong antibacterial, antiviral, and immune-boosting powers and their use as a weight loss aid because lemon juice is a digestive aid and liver cleanser. Lemons contain many substances--notably citric acid, calcium, magnesium, vitamin C, bioflavonoids, pectin, and limonene--that promote immunity and fight infection. Whether you use them in the form of juice, teas, drinks, dressing, poultices or in the bath, take advantage of lemons’ natural healing power.
Insomnia and Anxiety Relief
Research has shown that lemon balm has a calming effect and therefore may be able to help remove fatigue, exhaustion, dizziness, anxiety, nervousness, and tension. It is also believed that inhaling lemon oil helps in increasing concentration and alertness. It can therefore be used as a room freshener in offices to increase the efficiency of the employees. If you’re feeling tense sprinkle a few drops of lemon balm essential oil on a handkerchief to inhale.
Lemon oil also seems to be able to stimulate brain activity so whenever you feel tired for no reason or are finding it hard to focus or concentrate, add 4 drops of lemon oil to a water-filled aromatherapy lamp. Alternatively, drink a glass of lemon water every few hours.
what is most impressive to me is that honey can be a powerful immune system booster. It's antioxidant and anti-bacterial properties can help improve digestive system and help you stay healthy and fight disease. Honey possesses carcinogen-preventing and anti-tumor properties! There are now more and more studies pointing to the potential role of honey in the prevention and the progression of tumor and cancer.
FOR CUTS AND BURNS:
For thousands of years, honey has been recognized as one of the most natural home remedies to treat a wide range of ailments and complaints including yeast infection, athlete foot, and arthritis pain. Its antiseptic properties inhibits the growth of certain bacteria and helps keep external wounds clean and free from infection. Honey has been used as a natural cure in first aid treatment for wounds, burns and cuts as it is able to absorb moisture from the air and promote healing. Its antibacterial properties prevent infection and functions as an anti-inflammatory agent, reducing both swelling and pain, and even scarring. It is widely believed that honey works wonders for wound dressing due to its strong antibacterial property.
When you get a hangover from drinking too much alcohol, combat its effects by applying honey remedy. Honey is gentle on the stomach and contains a mix of natural sugars such fructose which is known to speed up the oxidation of alcohol by the liver, acting as a 'sobering' agent. Follow this recipe: 15ml of liquid honey with 80ml of orange juice and 70ml of natural yogurt. Blend them together until smooth.
FOR SORE THROATS:
One of the better known health benefits of honey is that it is able to help treat sore throats. Thanks to its antimicrobial properties, honey not only soothes throats but can also kill certain bacteria that causes the infection.
references from http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/natural-cure.html